Rules & Regulations
1. Rules and Regulations: All individuals attending this event, whether as spectators, competitors, officials or guest, shall be bound by the NASSPDA rules, and by participating in this event automatically become obliged to adhere to them. Please see www.nasspda.org for more details.
2. Loss, Theft, or Injury: No responsibility for loss or theft of articles left in the changing rooms, ballrooms, or hotel can be accepted by Floorplay In The Desert, organizers, or the facility. Everyone attending does so at his/her own risk.
3. Personal Videotaping/Photography: Personal videotaping/photography is allowed.
4. Judges: The Judges' decision shall be final. The Chairman of Judges shall be the sole arbitrator on decisions concerning ties, or any problem in scoring. The decision of the Chairman of Judges shall be final.
5. Schedule/On Deck Area: All event time schedules are approximate and are subject to change. It is the dancers' responsibility to be on the “on deck” area two heats prior to their scheduled event. The competition can run up to 30 minutes in advance.
6. Combining of Heats and Schedule: The organizers have the right to combine heats and change the schedule as needed.
7. Dress Code: Costumes are allowed in all levels. The organizer reserves the right to ask the competitor to change if the costume is deemed inappropriate by the judges.
8. Scholarship Events: Couples must compete in the same amount of single dances as the dances that will be danced in the Scholarship event to be eligible.
9. Prize Money: Scholarship Events: Only Pro-Am couples are eligible for these events. 1st, 2nd, 3rd Place will receive a cash price as follows: $100 for 1st Place. $50 for 2nd Place, $25 for events with only two couples participating will receive only half of the cash price. Beginner: Uncontested events will receive a voucher to be redeemed in next year's Floorplay Event in lieu of a check.
10. Showdance: Lifts and drops are allowed in this category only.
11. Age categories: A dancer may enter up to TWO age categories; however, they may not enter into a category older than their age category.
12. 9 & 10 Dance Championship Awards: Based on combined scores from respective graded events.
13. Cancellation/Refund Policy: The deadline for all requests for changes or cancellations must be made in writing on or before 15 days prior to the date of the competition. Thereafter there will be no refunds. Refunds will be made 30 days following the completion of the competition. Any such refund is subject to a $50 cancellation fee. Late fees will not be refunded.
14. Release Statement: You hereby give consent to the use and release of your name and likeness to be used in photographs, television, filming, and recording of this event in connection with television broadcast, exhibition, distribution, or promotion of this event in any manner and by any means now or in the future. If any person has an objection to be taped or photographed, please notify the organizers 30 days prior to the event in writing. Failure to do so will be considered as permission.
15. Role Switching: Switching roles throughout the dances is not mandatory but may add to your ranking.
16. Reverse Role category: In Mixed-gender, where woman leads and a man follows, the woman must lead at least 75% of the time.
17. Definition of a couple: With the exception of reverse role, couples will consist of two women or two men dancing together, regardless of sexual orientation. A transgender person should dance in the category appropriate to the gender that s/he uses to live her/his life and and should dance with a partner of the appropriate gender for the chosen category. “Mixed” a man and woman dancing together.
18. Pro-Am couple: A couple is considered to be student/teacher, if (a) one dancer is paying the other to dance with them during any part of the competition, and/or (b) if a couple self-identifies as a student/teacher couple by entering such a specified category during that competition.
19. By signing the official waiver form, you agree to the rules and regulations of this event.